Skip NavigationSkip to Primary Content

Domestic & International Health Certificates

Are you traveling domestically or going out of the country? As a federally accredited veterinarian practice, we can issue travel and acclimation certificates for your healthy pet so they can travel internationally with you.

Family in car with a dog
Family in car with a dog

Planning for these travel excursions can take quite some time when done properly, and it is best to allow at least two months to prepare for domestic travel, and up to four months to prepare for international travel. Furthermore, in some cases, rabies titers (a test of an immune response against the rabies virus) are required when traveling to destinations such as Hawaii and Australia, and an additional amount of time to allow for said testing is advised.

The USDA has an incredibly informative website that guides you in terms of what requirements need to be met for your specific travel plans. That website can be found at:

Domestic Travel:

International Travel:

What specifics do I need for making travel plans for my pet?

When traveling by car, it is advised that you carry three different forms of information about your pet to ensure proper guidance and protocols are being followed. You will need your pet's most recent vaccine history, a copy of their rabies certificate, and a veterinarian-issued pet health certificate which details all of your pet's most recent wellness exams.

Traveling by air is the most common form of travel, and it will understandably come with more stringent guidelines and rules. Above all else, it is best to call your airline to obtain their own pet travel requirements so you are not met with any surprises while at the airport. Moreover, the specific airlines may guide you in terms of what the requirements are for the country that which you are traveling, and you can be prepared upon arrival.

There are several key questions you should address with your airline to obtain the most accurate information:

  1. What are your pet travel policies?

  2. Are large pets offered fleet cargo space? If so, will this affect the flights to choose from?

  3. May small pets be brought in the cabin and stowed underneath the seat or on the seat next to you?

  4. What are the pet carrier requirements?

  5. Do any pick-up and drop-off policies exist for pets?

  6. How are layovers handled when pets are on the plane?

An important thing to keep in mind is that only USDA-certified veterinarians may issue pet health certificates. If you are interested in getting a pet health certificate for your pet/s, please give us a call at (714) 779-2101 and we can get you started on the process.